Give me some leadway!

Mark Peters markpeters33 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 17 21:11:21 UTC 2006

A friend mentioned that she heard someone say "leadway" instead of "leeway," and sure enough...

  depends on the agreed abitration process. some allow the arbitrator to choose one side OR the otheronly.some give the arbirator leadway in between,and someallow the arbirator leadway even above (or below)on the table offers!!!
http://jesgolbez.blogspot.com/2005/08/arbitration-sensations.html

  This business of trying to give presidents leadway doesn't usually serve us very well.
  http://www.e-thepeople.org/article/40124/view?viewtype=best&skip=20

  Considering that I just wrote this you'd think you'd give me some leadway here.
  http://virginiacentrist.blogspot.com/2005/12/challenging-allen.html

  In some cases, the meanings of "leeway" and "lead" seem to be blurring:

  Overall, it was a great movie. In the beginning I got really confused how he ended up in a Communist prison, but it was explained in detail later on the movie. The closing was really nice to give some leadway into the original Batman where the detective tells Batman about a new villian in Gotham that always left a calling card at the crime sceen (a joker). Other than that, I thought it was $9.50 well spent.
  http://polyblogs.rpi.edu/knighb/?permalink=4th_of_July_Weekend_Part_I.html&smm=y

  Might be an interesting shift in meaning...

  Mark