wambulance/whambulance/wahmbulance (1993)

Mon Mar 20 18:35:21 UTC 2006

"Wambulance" and variants thereof is a blend of "waaa!" and
"ambulance". Usually in the phrase "(somebody) call the wambulance",
sarcastically mocking a person perceived as whining.

Spelling varies quite a bit, as in these Urban Dictionary entries:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wambulance
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=waaaambulance
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Waahmbulance
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wahmbulance
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whambulance

The Usenet archive dates it back to 1993:

-----
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.misc/msg/97adad8aecf8e954
rec.music.misc, "REQ: ID THIS CLAPTON SONG", May 31 1993
(somebody call the wahmbulance !)
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/bit.listserv.novell/msg/a0d3f1e1184b1bed
bit.listserv.novell, "colors and whiners", Jun 28 1993
I just put DOUGMENU out on a trial basis and the first thing I
received wambulance calls on was their colors went away.
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.infosystems.www.users/msg/ae516e102ab462ef
comp.infosystems.www.users, "What file format are HotMetal RULES
files???", Jul 22 1994
Somebody call the WAHmbulance... :)
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.football.college/msg/e3169480f35ded39
rec.sport.football.college, "PSU BY ANY OTHER NAME IS #1", Dec 2 1994
I'm going to call the Wahhmbulance to pick you guys up.  I can hear
the siren now, and it sounds like Nebraska fans: "wahhh, Wahhhh.  We
lost.  Waahhh."
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.hardcore/msg/ba82d05549d73ac5
alt.music.hardcore, "BTJ/SNAPCASE/SOIA", Dec 19 1994
however, there are rumors of a possible btj split, because of a need
to "take time off", so bust out those hankys now.  "call the
waambulance!"
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.doom/msg/723f92e5f26cc4d9
alt.games.doom, "doom on mac", Dec 21 1994
Could someone dial 9-wah-wah and get a wahmbulance for this little girl?
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/dfw.internet.providers/msg/ad1d93e43691ed9b
dfw.internet.providers, "Dickheads on the internet", Feb 6 1996
Want us to call the Whambulance you to take care of your pathetic whinning?
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.climbing/msg/5fdc5c24ce107b54
rec.climbing, "HOW MANY PITCHES...........", Apr 4, 1996
Waaa! Waaa! Hold On, let me call a Waaaambulance!
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.weird-al/msg/b98db1a264c28b9f
alt.music.weird-al, "AL please thank Tigger", Oct 1 1996
Don't make me call the WAAAAHmbulance.
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/za.politics/msg/fac7f5608dc65ac6
za.politics, "Research material on Guns", Jan 13 1997
Shall I call a waaaaaaaambulance for you now?
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.warcraft/msg/93f2264470cda460
alt.games.warcraft, "Real sleazy attack on low resources - Comments?,
"Jan 16 1997
This still falls under the addage of BOO HOO! Should we call you a
Whaaaambulance?
-----

--Ben Zimmer