Premadonna

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 23 15:54:43 UTC 2006

At 5:45 AM -0500 3/23/06, Stephen Goranson wrote:
>Thinking prema-donna or pre-madonna?
>
>Stephen Goranson

I've had this one, qua "pre-Madonna", in my files for a while; my
favorite cite appears below.  It helps to know that the former
baseball slugger Jose Canseco--currently (in)famous for his tell-all
book on steroid use in major league baseball--both "dated" Madonna
and was largely considered a prima donna both before and since.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0506B&L=ADS-L&P=R10536&I=-3
Date:         Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:30:13 -0400
Sender:       American Dialect Society Mailing List
From:         Laurence Horn
Subject:      Re: "diva": extended to men

At 4:00 AM -0700 6/14/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>On _Fox & Friends_ this a.m., Kirin Chetry asked country singer
>Aaron Tippin's accompanist,
>
>"Is he a diva behind the scenes?"

Not too surprising, given how long "prima donna" has been.  Of
course, the locus classicus for *that* is the reference to "the
pre-Madonna Jose Canseco"...

Two other cites off the web:

[on Muhammad Ali's daughter, boxer Leila Ali]
Ali actually feels that [fellow boxer Christy] Martin is showing
signs of fearŠ Ali describes Martin as a real pre-Madonna. According
to Ali, Martin hired her own media people...

[from a review of a San Francisco production of the musical "Chicago"]
Bianca Marroquin, a real pre-Madonna, boasts an almost innocent tawdriness
and brings a refreshing gamine quality to Roxie Hart's need for fame.