Vals Kilmer (like "attorneys general"?)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 27 16:39:28 UTC 2006

Isn't the modification of first names the whole point of surnames? But, be
that as it may,
"Vals Kilmer," not "Val Kilmers" and, e.g. "Messrs. Smith," not "Mr.
Smiths," were taught simply as convention. No one ever suggested that there
was any reason for doing it that way, back in the day. Cf., for another
example, the writing of multidigit numbers from left to right in Semitic
languages, even though these languages otherwise are written from right to
left.

-Wilson