army ranks [was: assorted comments]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 29 13:30:22 UTC 2006

You may be older than you think, Wilson. The "Red Army" was officially redesignated the "Soviet Army" shortly after World War II.

  Except, I suppose, for the most formal official reports, "Red Army" retained currency in the West for being more familiar, briefer, catchier, scarier, and, yes, more colorful.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: army ranks [was: assorted comments]

Time certainly flies. I can remember when the former Soviet Army [Sovetskai=
Armiia] was still known as the Red Army [Krasnaia Armiia], long before and
long after 1940. The historical meaning of the adjectival stem, _krasn_, wa=
"beautiful."

This is why the name of Red, i.e. "Beautiful," Square [Krasnaia Ploshchod']
predates the political use of this adjective.

-Wilson