army ranks [was: assorted comments]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 29 16:16:45 UTC 2006

I stand corrected. But I ain't goin' down like that.

Perhaps it's the fault of the Army itself and the teachers at the old Army
Languaage School, since the textbooks that they had prepared together always
referred to the "Red" Army. I can't recall whether the term, "Red Army,"
ever occurred in any intercepted speech, but my guess is that it didn't.
Since the speakers knew what army they were in, there was no reason to
mention it. They spoke of, e.g. the Third Shock Army or the Eighth Guards
Army in the same way that we spoke of the Seventh Army, except that our
armies lacked cool or scary nicknames. For some reason, we give nicknames
only to the shoulder patches. Like, the shoulder patch of the Seventh Army,
the representative of the U.S. Army in Europe, was called the "Seven Steps
to Hell." And even civilians are aware of the "Screaming Eagle," the
"All-American," and the "Big Red One," I think.

Let me revise that. Some U.S. Army units *do* have nicknames. Both the "Rock
of Chickamauga" and the "Black (actually interracial <har! har!>) Panthers"
were sent to Berlin to reinforce the Berlin Brigade after The Wall went up.
Would you believe that these units brought with them, at taxpayer expense,
an actual boulder the size of a half-ton truck and a live black panther?

-Wilson