Vals Kilmer (like "attorneys general"?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 29 22:50:02 UTC 2006

I got nuthin' on this.

  JL

Robert Fitzke <fitzke at MICHCOM.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Robert Fitzke
Subject: Re: Vals Kilmer (like "attorneys general"?)

Speaking of words and phrases that are created to "meet a need" or serve a
special purpose, I'm grappling with the recent pop culture use of the word "
length" to describe a basketball player or team that has height, as in such
and such team has length, or so in so has length.

Oddly, my dad, born in 1897, told me someone in his home town of LaSalle,
IL, used to call him "Lengthy" (He was 6' 2 1/2"; very tall for the times.

Bob .