basketball "length" (was Re: Vals Kilmer)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 30 04:38:00 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      basketball "length" (was Re: Vals Kilmer)

> On 3/30/06, Robert Fitzke <fitzke at michcom.net> wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of words and phrases that are created to "meet a need" or serve
> > special purpose, I'm grappling with the recent pop culture use of the
> word "
> > length" to describe a basketball player or team that has height, as in
> such
> > and such team has length, or so in so has length.
> >
> > Oddly, my dad, born in 1897, told me someone in his home town of
> LaSalle,
> > IL, used to call him "Lengthy" (He was 6' 2 1/2"; very tall for the
> times.

"Lengthy"?  I wonder whether that might have been the ultimate source of an
annoying nickname, "Linky," that I - 6' 4" and a very slim 160 lbs. - was
once saddled with in St.
Louis. I could never make any sense of "Linky," but, if that originated as
"Lengthy,"
then it makes sense.

-Wilson

-----