"Out of his tree" (crazy)

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Mar 30 13:51:01 UTC 2006

Back to the '50s at least and current with "'He, She or They got toys (in
the head occasionally added but always implied)."

They were both in use when I was in high school.

Page Stephens

-----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Out of his tree" (crazy)

---

-----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject: "Out of his tree" (crazy)

---

> OUT OF HIS TREE-28,800 Google hits
> (GOOGLE NEWS)
> _Facing down a culture where they talk like crazies_
> (http://www.suntimes.com/output/steyn/cst-edt-steyn261.html)
> Chicago Sun-Times, United States - Mar 2
> ... insanity on the grounds that (I'm no Islamic jurist so I'm
paraphrasing
> here) anyone who converts from Islam to Christianity must ipso facto be
out
> of his tree ...
> I saw this in Mark Steyn's column (reprinted in the New York Sun). HDAS
has
> 1942 for the similar "out of town."
> I don't have a tree. I never even had a Christmas tree.
> (OED)
> 1996 D. F. WALLACE Infinite Jest 253, I even tried telling him Himself was
> miserable and pancreatitic and out of his tree half the time by then.
> (GOOGLE GROUPS)
> _The return of net.bizarre._

(http://groups.google.com/group/net.news.group/browse_thread/thread/9af49d07
cb4930a2/b6e05403747af647?lnk=st&q="out+of+his+tree
(http://groups.google.com/group/net.news.group?lnk=sg&hl=en)