The Green Zone and Related Terms

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Mar 31 16:34:35 UTC 2006

When I taught rifle on a 22  the commands were:

Ready on the right.

Ready on the left.

All ready on the firing line.

Commence Firing.

The most important command which came later if something unexpected came up
was:

Cease firing!!!!!!!!

As a rifle instructor at a Boy Scout camp I only once had to give this
command when a kid suddenly showed up behind the target area, and you could
probably have heard me screaming  Cease firing!!!!!!!! at the top of my
lungs for probably a mile or two.

I just talked with an old friend of mine who served in the marines in WWII
who told me that the lock, lock and load commands were used back in his
days only for high powered rifles such as the M1.

Anyone out there know the origin of Maggie's Drawers which meant that you
had missed the target.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Page Stephens

-----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: The Green Zone and Related Terms

---

> The most-recent rifle model that I had occasion to deal with was the
> M-14. With this model and the ones that preceded it, "locked" meant
> that the safety was on, thereby preventing the rifle from being fired.
> Hence, strictly speaking, a "locked-and-loaded" rifle was *not*
> ready to be fired.
>
> -Wilson
>
> On 3/31/06, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> > Subject:      The Green Zone and Related Terms

---