"A-loose" redux

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 1 21:51:29 UTC 2006

Has anyone else noted the new Dr. Pepper commercial in which
the R&B singer, Joseph "Joe Tex" Arrington, a native of Rogers, TX,
sings

"Don't turn it a-loose!"?

For those who missed the beginning, a friend who's a native of
Vermont once pointed out to me that "a-loose" is non-standard.
I was surprised and annoyed, to the extent that I checked just
about every dictionary and manual of usage known to man in
order to prove him wrong. Needless to say, I failed.

The point here is that Dr. Pepper is headquartered in Texas and
"Joe Tex" and I are both natives of Texas. So, for us Texans,
"a-loose" is as good as standard. ;-)

The usual pronunciation of Joe Tex is Joe _Tek_, a nice example
of the dropping of final /s/ in BE.

-Wilson