"A-loose" redux

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 2 01:30:59 UTC 2006

I don't know f'sho, but "evvy which away" still lives, down to my
generation. As has been the complaint at least since Aristotle's day,
today's youth appear to be bent upon destroying their ancient heritage. Once
upon a time, I heard the intervocalic glottal stop in the speech of only one
black person. In vain did I chastise him, for he did not receive correction,
replying ever, "Man, I don't use no glo?al stop!"

Today, I heard a young black woman speak both with a glottal stop and
without one. My heart leapt! Then it occurred to me that she could have been
starting to use the glottal stop, instead of starting to lose it. Oh, well.

-Wilson