"The [attempted] coupe [against Apple] is over."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 4 15:22:42 UTC 2006

"Poozho" is all I've ever heard. Almost universal in the South (and prob. elsewhere, though I never heard it in NYC) is "porsh" for _Porsche_.

  JL

Damien Hall <halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Damien Hall
Subject: "The [attempted] coupe [against Apple] is over."

Wilson asked:

>Is anyone else old enough to remember when
>"coup=E9" / "coupe" was still pronounced "coo-pay"
>and no one confused it with "coup" in spelling?

A few people replied that they were, and Abby added:

>Yes. I also remember when a Renault was a ren-alt, not a ren-oh.

In British English the car is still always a "koo-pay", though the stress may or
may not be final. And Renaults are still "ren-oh"s, though the stress is always
initial. Similarly, though it may not ring any bells with Americans, the French
car Peugeot /poezho/ is "p at -zho", stress-initial. I have never heard "p at -zhot"
(or "ren-alt", come to that).

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania