"Rate": Britspeak only?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu May 4 19:34:43 UTC 2006

Ha!  No sooner had I gotten Wilson's posting about BE "to
low-rate" than I was reading a term paper (for a folklore
class) in which the student referred to jokes that "B-rate"
minority groups.  Unlike the complimentary jokes that A-rate
them . . . .

--Charlie

____________________________

>Charlie, your example sentences work for me. And
there's "to low-rate" in BE (and in other dialets?), with
the meaning "to insult."

>On 5/4/06, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:

>> Although Americans use (or used to use) "rate" in a
similar sense:  "The food at this place just doesn't
rate."  "You got invited? You must really rate!"

Perhaps also in that "rate/reckon/value" category is "rank,"
as in the sports-page usage: a "ranked" team, meaning
a 'highly-ranked' team.