Possible eggcorn

Fri May 5 17:07:05 UTC 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 7:33 AM, Lary Horn wrote:

> At 10:13 AM -0400 5/5/06, David Bowie wrote:
>> I've decided to stop throwing every potential eggcorn i see onto this
>> list, but this one's too wonderful to pass up. From a comment on
>> one of
>> washingtonpost.com's political blogs, responding to an entry on
>> Katherine Harris's spectacular continuing flameout in her US
>> Senate race
>> here in Florida (and no, this person's not a Harris fan):
>>
>>    YES, next week should be very interesting with what they do to
>>    Harris. Talk about your soap opera. She is on Life Support
>>    because her own republican family is plotting to kill her chances
>>    of being on the ballot. Talk about getting what you deserve. You
>>    can almost hear her saying "You to Brutus", as the the last knife
>>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>    is slipped into her. Kind of brings a tear to your eye !!!
>>    ( Because you can't stop laughing !)
>
> ... Actually, though, the blogger above *could* have committed a
> simple
> typo for "You too", if we're to be charitable about it.

among the ca. 194 google webhits on <"you to Brutus"> are a number
that are clearly misspellings or typos, since they're punctuated with
a comma:, as in"You to, Brutus?"

of course, someone could ask the blogger what the intended meaning of
"You to Brutus" was.

arnold, not adding this one to the database