Fricative voicing in *houses*

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 9 16:30:52 UTC 2006

>Michael Becker of MIT asked the following question, and I replied (on another
>list I am on);  my reply is below his question.  I said I would cross-post the
>question here.  As usual, if anyone can help Michael, would you please reply
>both to him and to this list?  Thanks!
>
>Damien Hall
>University of Pennsylvania

Nothing on the isogloss for hou[s]es vs. hou[z]es--I'm pretty
restricted to the latter group, except of course for the former
pronounciation for "house's".  But something that always struck me
was the speakers who distinguish "hou[s]ewife" from "hou[z]ewives",
as a kind of assimilation at a distance.  The latter innovation has
always struck me as a phonological analogue of its morphological
counterpart in "sleptwalked".

Larry