Fricative voicing in *houses*

Wed May 10 15:03:28 UTC 2006

wilson inscribed:

Great example, dInIs! Perhaps I can spread it about. Or maybe not. I find it
really difficult to accept "done" as standard in this environment. Besides,
though I haven't heard any examples of blacks using "I'm done" in the wild,
I have found cases of "I'm through" used by whites not only in the wild, but
also even in print. "All your syntax are ours!" ;-)
<<<

Both o' yez, are ye talkin' about the same construction? Wilson's original
mention of through vs. done was

FWIW, I had the same problem with BE "through" vs. WE "done," as in BE, "I'm
_through_ VERBing," vs. WE, "I'm _done_ VERBing."
<<<

dInIs, your example was "I'm through!", not "I'm through VERBing", albeit in
a suggestive context.

(And btw, Wilson, don't you mean "All your syntax are belong to us"?)