Fricative voicing in *houses*

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 10 15:26:40 UTC 2006

Dialects are strange, to paraphrase the Lizard King. I'm with your lady wife
WRT to "blou[s]" for both the noun and the verb. I learned "blou[s]" for the
article of clothing as a child in Texas, ca. late '30's-early '40's. In the
Army, ca. late '50's-early '60's, we spoke of "blou[s]ing one's boots," even
though it was the bottoms of the legs of our fatigue pants or our field
pants that we blou[s]ed and and not our boots. The design of both the boots
and the pants have changed, since those days, so what the troops are wearing
nowadays won't help you to visualize what it was like in the old
"black-shoe" Army. Ironically, in my day, we spoke of the old "brown-shoe"
Army of WWII and Korea.

-Wilson