hung/hanged; was Re: ring, rang, rung

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed May 10 21:16:39 UTC 2006

>I agree with Jim on this one, though I do recall that I was specifically
>taught, both in grade school and in high school - a testament to the degree
>of prescriptivism inherent in this grammatical "rule" - to use "hanged" for
>people.
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 5/10/06, James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>At least in my idiolect, "hanged" and "hung" have
>>different meanings.
>>
>>The stockings were hung by the chimney with care.
>>
>>After the morning trial, they hanged the malefactor at
>>noon.
>>
>>I don't think I invented this distinction myself, but
>>was taught it at some point.

I had learned this well enough to consider it standard. So recent
utterances with hung plus a human object have startled me
considerably. I don't remember where I saw/heard them--I just
remember my reaction.

Barbara

Barbara Need
UChicago