done vs. through + gerund (and - gerund!)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 11 21:02:03 UTC 2006

And I concur with you, Charlie. My 95-year-old mother still uses
only "through" and I'm willing to bet that, though she's heard "I'm
done,"
it's never registered on her consciousness, since she was already over
thirty before we moved from East Texas to St. Louis. She likes to use
the _I done done it_ "done" when she's pissed off, the implication being
that, though I'm supposedly a college graduate, I'm still too stupid to
understand "proppuh Ang-lish." Hence, she has to lower her speech to
my level.

-Wilson