Worry Beads (Kompoloi)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri May 12 07:08:30 UTC 2006

KOMBOLOI--47,100 Google hits
KOMPOLOI--528 Google hits
OED has a miserable little entry for komboloi/kompoloi ("worry beads")
under "worry," but the Greek name should also be an entry. They're very
popular.
(OED)
worry (n.)
Special Combs. worry beads, a string of beads manipulated by the
fingers as a means of occupying one's hands and calming the nerves;
worry lines, lines or wrinkles on the forehead supposedly formed by a
habitual expression of worry.
1964 in M. McLuhan Understanding Media viii. 78 You will notice that
many Greek men..spend a lot of time counting the beads of what appear
to be amber rosaries... They are komboloia or ‘worry beads’.
(GOOGLE)
www.kompoloi.gr
kompoloi, koboloi, kosmima, kapsakis, warry, beats, beads, asimi,
xrisos, gold, paradosi, byzantini, bizantini, xandres, kexrimpbari,
kexribari, koralia, ...
www.kompoloi.gr/ - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
Komboloi
The beads are called komboloi (pronounced come-bo-loy, with the accent
on the last syllable) ... The word komboloi comes from the word kombos,
meaning knot, ...
www.yasou.org/geninfo/komboloi.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
MISC.
I'll be leaving Santorini for Crete this afternoon.
THAT'S THE WAY THE PICKLE SQUIRTS--what someone on my tour uses instead
of "cookie crumbles."
PAIN IN THE PINOCHUS--pinochus? Again, what someone on the tour uses.