Contemporary slang bites the big one

Tue May 16 13:24:31 UTC 2006

Just for clarification, is the subject here the use of
"bit" as opposed to "bites"?.  The latter is common in
these types of phrases: TTBOMK, "bites" has been in
such usage since at least the 60s.  The 1978 quote
sounds very natural to me, speaking of a past event
that would have been described with "bites" at the
time it happened.

http://mail.yahoo.com