Message: America's First Rap Song

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 17 13:57:50 UTC 2006

O y'all of little faith!  The incident alluded to was in fact "the defeat of FLOYD at Gauley Bridge by Gen. ROSENCRANS [sic]." (_Vanity Fair_,  _op. cit._)

  Gen. William "Rosey" Rosecrans's victory occurred in the hillls of Western Virginia, on the historic day of September 11, 1861, according to William G. Brownlow's _Sketches of the Rrise, Progress, and Decline of Secession_ (Philadelphia & Cincinnati: G. W. Childs; Applegate & Co., 1862), p. 184.

  Brownlow lists no less than 16 comparable Union victories in 1861 fields of strife such as Drainesville and Santa Rosa Island - yet youth today are taught only of the setback at Bull Run !  Gauley Bridge paid the rebels back in kind for the damage inflicted on our forces at Scarytown.

  JL:

"Landau, James" <James.Landau at NGC.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Landau, James"
Subject: Re: Message: America's First Rap Song

The date given is wrong.

"BEAUREGARD.-------------------------Then I'll stow my wid,
Button my bone-box and do as FLOYD did."

The reference to "FLOYD" is to the Confederate General of that name, who
was in command at Fort Donelson and who, once Grant attacked Donelson,
fled and left a subordinate to surrender the troops to Grant. This
occurred in February of 1862 and provides a terminus ad quem for the
poem. =20

I'm afraid this is one topical allusion that cannot be disregarded.

Once the date is corrected, this poem is a possible antedating for the
word "bingo" (for which MWCD10 gives 1925)

- Jim Landau