positive anymore

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 19 04:01:23 UTC 2006

That's why you have to avoid getting accustomed to this kind of
stuff. ;-) The first time that I heard the plural, "baby daddies," ca.1993,
I pictured one of those stereotypical
hospital nurseries filled with male newborns who were themselves the
fathers of a similar nurseryful
of male newborns who were themselves the fathers of a similar nurseryful of
male newborns, ad infinitum. I cracked myself up. These days, naturally,
"baby daddies" / "baby mamas" is no more comical to
me than the current pronunciation of "Submariner" as "Submarine-er,"
though, when I was an avid funnybook reader in the '40's, even we
black children used [s^b-MArIn@(r)]. The singular forms, baby daddy
and baby mama, have been in use since Mother was a
girl, to reprise an expression that was already antiquated when Mother
was a girl.

-Wilson