Deep Down in the Jungle redux

carole crompton crompton at SOVER.NET
Mon May 22 00:18:22 UTC 2006

On Sunday, May 21, 2006, at 12:26  AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On p.6, Abrahams mentions the ring games, Little Sally Waters, Sally
> Go 'Round the Sun. and Here We Go Zootie-O. I know these as Little
Sally Walker, Sally Go 'Round the Roses, and >Here We Go Looby-Loo or
... Loop-de-Loop.<

Or perhaps he meant the line dance called Zootie-o
or.....(synchronicity) "Zodiac."

"Here we go zodiac, zodiac, zodiac,
Here we go zodiac all night long.
Step back Sally, Sally, Sally
Step back Sally all night long.
Lookin down the alley what do I see?
A Great big man from Tennessee
Beat you five dollars that you can't do this:
(A) To the front to the back to the side side side
to the side side side, to the side side side
Repeat to "This:"
(B) You lean wa-a-a-ay back, you got a hump on yur back
you  do the camel walk, you do the camel walk......."

By the way, any idea what "the camel walk" is? (I always just bend over
and walk like a camel, but I assume this is an old time dance move?)
Anyway, that's the game I'd think of from that list. I played the first
2 as a child in Rialto, California (San Bernardino Co) in the '50's.
Most of the kids there were children of the Dust Bowl refugees. We
played lots of the old games (Oats and peas and barley grow, down on
the green grass, On the mountain stands a lady, etc.) in my
neighborhood and the tradition was still intact. We learned them from
older kids, NOT at school. We learned Looby Loo at school. (Along with
tisket a tasket).
It sure was fun to be a kid then. Kids I work with(6-9)  want to be
gangstas. Growing up WAY too fast.