joning (was Deep Down in the Jungle redux)

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon May 22 18:42:35 UTC 2006

Last year I had a student (young African American from Chicago, I think) who
did a project investigating this program on BET where contestants rap
insults at each other. She described them as "jonesing on" each other. I
remember she said "jonesing" and not "joning" b/c I had only heard the
former in the more common sense of "longing for," etc., and I'd never heard
of 'joning' until now. Wilson's and Sean's comments have shed some light on
this use of "jonesing" which seems to have developed from "joning."