French harp

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue May 23 12:57:09 UTC 2006

I discovered to my surprise the other day that a friend of mine with whom I
play among other things traditional American music did not know what a
french harp was.

Since I've used this term all of my life I am just curious if anyone on
this list is unfamiliar with it.

Please don't look it up online but just tell me if you have ever heard or
used it because I was amazed by the fact that my friend who is a bluegrass
musician and banjo player didn't know what a french harp was.

I can't play the thing worth a damn but my grandfather could, and he always
used that name for it.

Is it no longer used?

This inquiring mind wants to know.

No responses from linguistic experts who never grew up using the term but
learned it professionally allowed.

Page Stephens