trait on

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 25 08:56:14 UTC 2006

"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:    Sounds similar to hip hop's "to hate on" --Ex, "Don't be hating on me."

  Margaret Lee

And also in Philadelphia, a (white) member of my synagogue* used the
expression "be mad on X" meaning "be mad at X". I had to ask first for a
repetition, and then for an explanation, since I'd never heard the usage and
in context it could equally have meant the opposite: "be mad about X" = "be
crazy about X" = "like X very much".

(* Or it may have been our student rabbi, who is white and about to graduate
from seminary and receive her ordination.)

m a m