Showing "ADS-L" in message subjects

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu May 25 14:00:22 UTC 2006

In that past, we've discussed the possibility of displaying
the name of the list in the subject line of postings. We had
concluded that it was not possible to do it on an individual
basis, and suggested that people use filtering options with their
mail program based on the sender's address (i.e. the listserv
address) if they needed to route ADS mail elsewhere.

In fact it is trivially easy to add the list name ("ADS-L") to
message subjects. Simply send e-mail to the listserv at

 LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

containing only the line

 SET ADS-L SUBJ

and from then on all list mail will have "[ADS-L]" in the subject
line, before the actual subject. You can then use it to filter
automatically or mentally, as you prefer.

I can change this setting for you as well, but this should not
be necessary.

Jesse Sheidlower
co-listowner, ADS-L