when did "Black" start replacing....

Thu May 25 15:14:29 UTC 2006

In the 1960s I was a 20+-years-old white liberal.  My recollection of
this shift associates it with Martin Luther King, and an intention to
eliminate among black people a preference for those who were light
skinned: light or dark, all were equally black.

In NYC in the mid-late 1830s there was a newspaper called the Colored
American.  This title represented a rejection of "African", used by
some whites as the term for people with some African ancestors, and an
assertion that such people were Americans.
At about this same time I begin to see in some newspapers aimed a
white readers the use of the word "nigger".  I notice that the first
occurrence of this word from newspapers in my notes, other than in
purported transcriptions of speech, as from testimony at a trial,
comes from the Morning Courier & N-Y Enquirer in 1829 -- a respectable
newspaper.  In 1834 and after I have it from the Transcript and from
Ely's Hawk & Buzzard -- both disreputable papers, especially the
latter -- the NYTimes (not an ancestor of the present Times) and the
Herald.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.