Columbia News Service on Southern accents

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 25 21:55:59 UTC 2006

FWIW, it seems to me to be the case that even those Southerners who
have modified their speech in the direction of the non-specific norm
find themselves unable to give up "y'all," even though they may
"correct" it to "you-all." A case in point is Katie Couric.

Among blacks, at least, there appear to be two distinct dialects: one
in  which "y'all" occurs in every possible environment and another one
in which an introductory "y'all" is followed by "you." This second
dialect is thee one that I use.

Hey, y'all! Hi y'all doin'?

Hey, y'all! Hi ya doin'?

-Wilson