"Above approach"

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Tue May 30 12:16:22 UTC 2006

In this morning's St. Louis Post-Dispatch, there's an AP story on Sen.
Harry Reid, who accepted a questionable gift from the Nevada Athletic
Commission. Kathleen Clark, an expert on congressional ethics at
Washington University in St. Louis, is quoted as saying, "I think he
would want to be above approach even when it's from a state
commission and not a private lobbyist."

If it's a deliberate coinage - above being approached? - it strikes me as
halfway clever, but there's a definite eggcornish flavor to it.

Jim Parish