"Look the East End in the Face"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue May 30 14:18:11 UTC 2006

The following is the earliest documented reference I have found to a
famous World War II quotation:

[<i>To a London policeman, 13 Sept. 1940:</i>] I'm glad we've been
bombed. It makes me feel I can look the East End in the face.
quoted in Betty Spencer Shew, <i>Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother</i>
(1955)

Is anyone able to supply any earlier references?  I have already searched
"look the East End in the face" in ProQuest Historical Newspapers,
Newspaperarchive and Times Digital Archive.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS