"Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" in July 2, 1872 NY Herald?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed May 31 23:40:50 UTC 2006

New York Herald reporter Henry Morton Stanley wrote "Dr. Livingstone, I
presume?" in his journal for the date November 10,1871. I don't know what Fred
has for this famous quote.
When did this line appear in the New York Herald?  Newspaperarchive has
digitized the New York Herald. The earliest I could find is  the New York Times
(?), July 2, 1872. I clicked it and my computer just stopped.  The alleged NY
Times (?) cite doesn't show up on ProQuest's digitized NY  Times.
Again, what's the earliest in the NY Herald?
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)

     _New York Times, The_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=W0CtXEq/mhWKID/6NLMW2vxcHpo3lehMMvNGhSgkfkG7W+5KGj6xtUIF+CsZYmrz)  _Tuesday,
July 02, 1872_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=livingstone+and+"i+presume"+AND+date:1872-07-02)  _New York,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=livingstone+and+"i+presume"+AND+cityid:20293+AND+stateid
:67+AND+range:1871-1872)  _New York_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=livingstone+and+"i+presume"+AND+stateid:67+AND+range:1871-1872)
LIVINGSTONE. I PRESUME  I Ue, smIlIng, answered yes. He Informed me  that ho
started In March although I may bo wrong In  my conclusIons, my money aIn't,
AND I  stAND ready to put Is so ngbteooa a AND so surely  AND overwhelmIngly
RepublIcan, tbat It  scarcely needs to
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morton_Stanley_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morton_Stanley)

Sir Henry Morton Stanley (also known as Bula Matari  (Breaker of Rocks) in
_Congo_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo) ),  born
John Rowlands (_January 28_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_28) ,
_1841_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1841)  – _May 10_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_10) , _1904_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904) ), was a _19th-century_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th-century)  _Welsh_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales) -born _American_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States)
_journalist_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism)   and _explorer_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_explorers)  famous for  his exploration of
_Africa_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa)  and his search for _David
Livingstone_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Livingstone) .
(...)
He became one of the Herald's overseas correspondents and, in 1869, was
instructed by Bennett's son to find the _Scottish_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_people)  missionary and  explorer _David Livingstone_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Livingstone) , who  was known to be in Africa but had not
been heard from for some time. According  to Stanley's no doubt romanticised
account, he asked _James Gordon  Bennett, Jr._
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gordon_Bennett,_Jr.)  (1841-1918), who had succeeded to the paper's
management at his  father's retirement in 1867, how much he could spend. The reply
was "Draw _£_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling) 1,000 now, and when
you  have gone through that, draw another £1,000, and when that is spent,
draw  another £1,000, and when you have finished that, draw another £1,000, and
so on  — BUT FIND LIVINGSTONE!"
Stanley traveled to _Zanzibar_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanzibar)  and
outfitted an  expedition with the best of everything, requiring no less than
200 _porters_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_(carrier)) . He located
Livingstone on _November 10_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_10) , _1871_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1871) , in _Ujiji_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ujiji)  near _Lake  Tanganyika_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Tanganyika)
 in present-day _Tanzania_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzania) , and
famously greeted  him (at least according to his own journal) by saying "Dr.
Livingstone, I  presume?" (which was tongue-in-cheek because Livingstone was the
only white  person for hundreds of miles).
11 July 1872, Boston <i>Daily Globe</i>, pg. 6:
<i>"Dr. Livingstone, I Presume?"</i>
It was something like the very height of presumption for Stanley, the Hearld
explorer, to accost the first respectable-looking white man he met in Africa
with the words, "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" It was bold to presume anything
of  the kind, bit it was bolder far to venture to accost an Englishman, even
in the  wiles of Africa, without an introduction. English people have been
known to  travel together for weeks in Europe, Asia and America, without ever
exchanging  salutations, because they had not been "introduced." Has not an
Englishman the  same rights of isolation and reserve in Africa that he has in the
other three  quarters of the globe? Did not this particular Englishman go to
Africa to avoid  white society as well as to make geographical discoveries?
(...)
<i>Philadelphia Bulletin.</i>