Conversational Use of "Intercourse" Spotted

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Nov 1 15:08:26 UTC 2006

        Further to our recent discussion of "intercourse," I was
startled to see the word used, without a modifier, to mean
"conversation" in a Washington Post online chat at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/10/24/DI200
6102400544.html:

        <<I swim, and many mornings at the pool I see the same people.
One of them is a very attractive man, let's call him Tall Speedo Guy.
Over the course of about a year, TSG and I have exchanged pleasantries
and glances and have finally worked up to minor conversations. There is
very limited opportunity for intercourse at the pool, because we're
working out and our heads are under water most of the time. But we have
overcome that obstacle. So now, I'm to the point where I think it would
be nice to get to know him a little more. Should I wait on him to see if
he's interested? Or should I just bounce right over there and ask him if
he wants to go get coffee and talk swimming sometime?

        I think it goes without saying that he has seen me practically
naked, and as a female reader of this chat, that I am hot.>>

        Post humor columnist Gene Weingarten, in his response, somewhat
surprisingly did not comment on her use of "intercourse" in this sense.
While the poster clearly means that she has been talking with Tall
Speedo Guy, not having sex with him, it may be a factor that sex does
not appear to be too far from her mind.

John Baker