Race/racism and the late Prof. Frederic G. Cassidy

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 2 02:03:29 UTC 2006

On the web I find a memorial resolution of the University of Wisconsin
faculty containing the following information:

"Cassidy's interest in Creole English came naturally enough -- he was born
in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1907, to a Canadian father and a Jamaican mother.
He grew up hearing their two varieties of standard British English and the
Creole variety of the Black majority as well."

I'm not certain how to interpret this, but it sounds like his mother was
Jamaican but not a member of the Black majority.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986