Research

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Nov 2 15:26:06 UTC 2006

I found no difficulty interpreting the clause "most people
would say that they were pants instead of trousers" as written--"they" (as Fritz suggests) referring to pants, the subjunctive "were" (rather than "are") being occasioned by "would."

OK, it isn't a highly elegant construction.  But we all (professorial types) in our e-communications commit typos, misspellings, slips of the tongue, slips of the brain, Freudian slips.  Let's not hold an undergraduate (even an English major, even a Georgian) to higher standards!

--Charlie