Race/racism and the late Prof. Frederic G. Cassidy

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Nov 2 23:16:51 UTC 2006

Wilson's mention of Shug Otis reminds me of how, last year while teaching _The Color Purple_, I had such a struggle discouraging the students from pronouncing the character Shug's name so as to rhyme it with "hug."  But then, there really isn't a good way to represent the nickname or common (Southern?) epithet clipped from "sugar" orthographically.

--Charlie