blogger and blogess

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 3 06:12:38 UTC 2006

This whole item seems quite suspect to me. I read a fair number of blogs
written and maintained by women. These range from highly political blogs
with a high degree of concern for feminist issues to apolitical knitting
and craft blogs. I can't imagine any of the women maintaining these
blogs referring to herself as anything but a blogger, even with ironic
scare quotes.

Wilson Gray wrote:
> Do they really spell it as "blogess" as opposed to "bloggess"?
>
> -Wilson
>
> On 11/2/06, William Salmon <william.salmon at yale.edu> wrote:
>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       William Salmon <william.salmon at YALE.EDU>
>> Subject:      blogger and blogess

>> actor?

>> person is
>> denoting
>>
>> However, it seems pretty common for a female blog writer to be referred
>> to as a "blogess".  This feminine form is nowhere near as common as
>> "blogger", but many female blog writers do make the distinction.

> --
> Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
> complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> -----
> Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
> a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
> race. He brought death into the world.
>
> --Sam Clemens

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963