pre-velar /ae/ raising (was: slang/slant)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 4 21:54:43 UTC 2006

Unfortunately, there really isn't any meaningful way to discuss
anything that merely a matter of opinioon, even granting the existence
of several ways of speaking outside of the South that, put together in
various ways, can loosely be referred to as "standard American
English."

Although we all had studied German in college, when my fellow GI's and
I first "bopped the strass" in Frankfurt am Main, we found ourselves
to be basically unable to understand the answers to the questions that
we asked of passers-by, unless the reply was given in English. (You
guys won't mind if I answer you in English, do you?) The problem was
that we had all been taught what Germans themselves - iin those days,
at least - called "Hochdeutsch." But they spoke only their local
dialect. Hence, they could understand our questions, but we couldn't
understand their answers.

Of course, that's a sword that cuts two ways. A German classmate of
mine at UCLA told me that, despite his having studied English for more
than twelve years, upon his arrival in the U.S., he couldn't
understand a word, nor could anyone understand him. The problem was
that he had studied the British BBC-style pronunciation, useless when
he got off the plane in Houston.

On another occasion, three other GI's and I one night were walking the
streets of Amsterdam, trying to locate a bar that had been recommended
to us. After a half-hour or so of fruitless searching, we decided
simply to ask somebody. It being the case that Holland is reputed to
be the most English-speaking country in Europe outside of the British
Isles, we expected no problems. So, we stopped the first Amsterdammer
that we came across and asked whether he knew where the bar was. He
looked a little confused. So, he asked, "Wat?" We repeated the
question. Unfortunately, the only result was that the Dutchman looked
even more confused. As the silence began to grow uncomfortable, in
desperation, the poor guy finally blurted out, "Do you speak English?"

The problem was that the GI that we had unwittingly allowed to act as
our spokesman was an Alabamian.

-Wilson