inpression

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 6 03:04:27 UTC 2006

Dream on, Wilson. Some mathematical fraction probably represents orthographic rationalization.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: inpression

I most certainly hope so!

-Wilson

On 11/5/06, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: inpression
>
> Undoubtedly a misprint:
>
> 1968 Ernest J. Simmons _Introduction to Tolstoy's Writings_ (Chicago: U. of C. Press) 79: There are no...inpressionistic effects.
>
> Can the same be said of the tens of thousands of raw Googlits on "inpressions(s)," "inpressionist(ic), "inpress(es)," "inpressing,""inpressed," "inpressionism" ?
>
> JL

> Check out the New Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens