Chaucer et al

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 6 21:05:35 UTC 2006

This distinction is / was actually *taught*? I learned it solely from
seeing how it was used in the print medium. And now someone is
claiming / has claimed that this patterning is sexist?! Hence, only
the use of the masculine form is correct?! Doesn't this strike anyone
but me as sexism with its brains blown out? If the *masculine* form is
made the only correct form, doesn't that simply underline the
supposedly-implied claim that the feminine is subordinate to the
masculine? Make the *feminine* form the standard form and I may begin
to see this as something more than simply white folk with too much
money and too much time on their hands, giving them the leisure to
sweat this kind of triviality. How soon will it be before someone
points out the sexism inherent in the distinction between "widower"
and "widow"? Will "widow" be eliminated from the language in favor of
"widower" in order to avoid the appearance of sexism?

Kummoan, yawl!

I know of at least one instance in which precisely the opposite of
this is in process. Basque, which has no grammatical gender, has begun
to use a new word for "widow" based on the grammatically *feminine*
word for "widow" used in the abutting Romance languages.

-Wilson