Antedating of "White Trash"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Nov 7 19:37:55 UTC 2006

Yes, "poor white trash" was definitely the full and favored version of the phrase--among white folks too.  However, the better sort of poor white trash might, at some point, have insisted on dropping the "poor."

Over the last several years, I believe--as archetectural style in economical lodging evolved--the phrase "trailer trash" has made inroads into "poor white trash" space.

--Charlie