down to brass tacks (1867)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 7 21:19:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> 1867 _Bangor (Maine) Daily Whig & Courier_ 12 Jan. 2[?]/3 The
> Galveston Bulletin says that Texas must "come down to brass tacks" and
> accept the constitutional amendment, unless the people wish Congress
> to proceed with reconstruction.

Here's earlier:

1863 _Tri-Weekly Telegraph_ (Houston) 21 Jan. 2/1 (America's Historical
Newspapers)  When you come down to "brass tacks" -- if we may be allowed
the expression -- everybody is governed by selfishness.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986