Antedating of "Unemployment"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 7 22:10:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Baker, John wrote:

>        Barry has posted an 1849 cite,
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0312A&L=ADS-L&P=R1142&
> I=-3.  Fred, you once mentioned that you had submitted an 1800 cite to
> the OED, though it wasn't clear whether this was unemployment in the
> forced idleness sense.

I believe the 1800 cite I contributed to OED was in the forced idleness
sense.

Sometimes I may post antedatings that, knowingly or unknowingly to me,
have already had greater antedatings by others or by myself.  I just don't
have the time to check every antedating with the OED and the ADS-L
archives.  Even if there is already a greater antedating, the lesser
antedating may still be useful to the OED or others.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986