"Bootylicious"

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 7 23:13:33 UTC 2006

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but after virtually flipping through the OED today, I ran across "bootylicious." First I was surprised that it was in the OED already, but then I was confused by the first sense: "Of rap lyrics: bad, weak." Is this true? I'll admit that "bootylicious" isn't part of my normal vocabulary (esp. not back in '92 and '96 when the OED citations are from), but it seems really odd to me that it means bad or weak. The two citations are below.
1992 ‘SNOOP DOGGY DOGG’ Fuck Wit Dre Day (song) in ‘Dr. Dre’ Chronic (album), Them rhymes you were kickin were quite bootylicious.
1996 ‘So when you see Dre, a DJ on the Mic’ in alt.rap (Usenet Newsgroup) 26 Nov., He's great on ‘100 Miles’, but his rhymes are quite bootylicious on ‘Efil4zaggin’.
Am I the only one who gets the opposite sense as the OED here?

Scot