SMiShing

Wed Nov 8 14:48:40 UTC 2006

-----
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thecheckout/

You've Been SMiShed
Posted at 07:00 AM ET, 11/ 8/2006

The more I learn about smart phones, the less I understand how they
got their name.
A few weeks ago, my colleague Ellen Nakashima let us know that erasing
personal information from cellphones and smart phones is not that easy
and you can unwittingly leave behind a trove of data about yourself.
Well, it looks like the handy devices are no longer immune from
spammers and scammers either and are well on their way to giving
whoever compiles the Oxford English Dictionary a headache by inspiring
a new addition to the lexicon of cyber nuisances: SMiShing.
The term was coined by the folks at anti-virus software maker McAfee
Avert Labs as shorthand for phishing via SMS, a.k.a. text messaging.
[...]
-----

--Ben Zimmer