"Bootylicious"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 8 16:12:53 UTC 2006

Thanks, Wilson, though I don't think Ben was being critical.My real fear is that new letters will be added to the end of the alphabet.  Compared to that, the occasional new usage is as nothing !

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "Bootylicious"

Lighten up on poor Jon, Ben! Those meanings hadn't evolved at the time
that HDAS began to be published. IMO, HDAS's exposition of "boody" /
"booty" is excellent. Once upon a time, the use of "boody" as an
adjective was something that would be expected from kindergartners,
not from adults, and especially not from adults that claim to be bad.

When I was in grade school, we used to play a game called "boody
snatcher," a version of tag basically the same game as the later game
of "grab ass," before the latter lost its literal meaning. The name of
our game was purportedly inspired by the title, _The Body-Snatcher_,
of a horror movie of the day. And, sure enough, it turns out that the
movie title, "The Body Snatcher(s)," does date from at least 1945,
when I would have been in the third grade.

-Wilson

On 11/7/06, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
> Subject: Re: "Bootylicious"
>
> On 11/7/06, Scot LaFaive wrote:
> >
> > Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but after virtually flipping through
> > the OED today, I ran across "bootylicious." First I was surprised that
> > it was in the OED already, but then I was confused by the first sense: "Of
> > rap lyrics: bad, weak." Is this true? I'll admit that "bootylicious" isn't
> > part of my normal vocabulary (esp. not back in '92 and '96 when the OED
> > citations are from), but it seems really odd to me that it means bad or weak.
> > The two citations are below.
> > 1992 SNOOP DOGGY DOGG Fuck Wit Dre Day (song) in Dr. Dre
> > Chronic (album), Them rhymes you were kickin were quite bootylicious.
> > 1996 So when you see Dre, a DJ on the Mic in alt.rap (Usenet Newsgroup)
> > 26 Nov., He's great on 100 Miles, but his rhymes are quite bootylicious on
> > Efil4zaggin.
> > Am I the only one who gets the opposite sense as the OED here?
>
> For the 1992 cite, the context makes it clear that Snoop is dissing a
> fellow rapper:
>
> "Your bark was loud, but your bite wasn't vicious
> And them rhymes you were kickin were quite bootylicious."
>
> The Usenet from '96 contrasts two NWA albums, one where Dr. Dre is
> "great" and one where he isn't, so the negative connotation is clear.
> Plus, it's an obvious allusion to the original usage (Snoop's guest
> appearance on Dre's "The Chronic").
>
> Anyway, we shouldn't be surprised that an extended form of "booty" has
> this kind of negative sense, given how "booty" is used adjectivally in
> hiphop lyrics, usually to deprecate another rapper's skills:
>
> "But your rhymes are so booty you should write 'em on White Cloud."
> --Big Daddy Kane, "Down the Line"
>
> "The competition is booty, get the picture now?"
> --LL Cool J, "It Gets No Rougher"
>
> "Your booty rhymes are wack and that's the reason I ain't hearin ya."
> --A Tribe Called Quest, "Scenario"
>
> There's also the similarly pejorative "booty-ass":
>
> "So if your booty ass lyrics don't get to me, the stench will."
> --MC Serch, "Daze in a Weak"
>
> "I won't let a booty-ass rapper get wins against me."
> --GangStarr, "Take a Rest"
>
> (Neither adjectival "booty" nor "booty-ass" are in HDAS or OED, sad to say.)
>
> --Ben Zimmer

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens

Sponsored Link

Try Netflix today! With plans starting at only $5.99 a month what are you waiting for?