"brunt"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 8 17:41:02 UTC 2006

Unfortunately, there's no one that can be made to bear the blunt of
the blame for perpetrating this odd turn of phrase.

-Wilson

On 11/8/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "brunt"
>
> It's like "wiry."
>
>   JL
>
> Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens