Rap is a "foreign language"

GLL guy1656 at OPUSNET.COM
Thu Nov 9 14:16:01 UTC 2006

Here's a giggle -  Rap is a "foreign language" according to THIS judge:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/JUDGE%20CALLS%20RAP%20A%20FOREIGN%20LANGUAGE

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/06/offbeat.judge.lyrics/index.html

- GLL

-----

> adjectival "booty":
> LL Cool J, "It Gets No Rougher" (1989)
> Big Daddy Kane, "Down the Line" (1990)
> A Tribe Called Quest, "Scenario" (1991)
>
> adjectival "booty-ass":
> GangStarr, "Take a Rest" (1991)
> MC Serch, "Daze in a Weak" (1992)

If Usenet is any indication, "booty" didn't really take off as a
pejorative adjective until early 1992. The first cite below is a bit
ambiguous and the second is really for "booty wack", but all the rest
are clearly negative:

-----
alt.rap, Aug. 6, 1991
He used to be associated with Fila Fresh Crew (booty).
-----
alt.rap, Oct. 22, 1991
Though I will have to agree that "Fly Girl" song is booty wack.
-----
alt.rap, Feb. 24, 1992
The bottom line is: NWA's tracks are wasted on booty rhymes.
-----
alt.rap, Feb. 28, 1992
Yes, their lyrics are kinda booty, but the production slams!!
-----
alt.rap, Mar. 3, 1992
Basically....Sex and Violence is booty.  I guess it'll have to grow on me.
-----
alt.rap, Mar. 4, 1992
Thus, KRS-ONE's only real appeal is through rhetoric, as far as I'm
concerned.  His last four albums have been completely BOOTY.
-----